Monday, April 9, 2012

The love of reading

I started this post as a reply on a friend's blog and it grew beyond a reply, so here we go.

My father was not a reader but he understood the need for books. He bought the first set of encyclopedias the year I was born. He wanted a different set than what they had at the library, so he purchased the Book of Knowlege and World Book. In my school years he renewed the encyclopedias 3 times. We also had Bible encyclopedia, Animal and sets of reading books.  I'm sure the Grolier salesman thought my dad was an easy target.

Nighttime would find us reading in bed.  After lights out time,we would hide under the covers with a flashlight to finish. Mom would often tell us if we continued to read in such darkened conditions, we would need glasses.  She was right.  We all have needed to wear glasses but I think that it is more genetic than from reading in the dark.  Even after I left home, I would come for a visit and pick a book and drape myself in a chair and read.


My family tried several times to have a TV when I was younger. For some reason, weeks into ownership and the used, gifted TV always ceased to work.  I missed the landing on the moon and the watergate trials.  We read for knowledge and entertainment. I read Dr. Suess books to my little sisters until I could quote them in my sleep.

I was worried that my daughter wouldn't become a reader, but about a year ago, she discovered books. It warmed my heart when she exclaimed "Mom, I can see pictures in my head!"

Today, I have graduated from hard copy books to e-reader books. I love having a book with me all the time without the bulk of a book.  I love being able to pull out my i-pod and read whenever I am waiting for something.

Reading has helped me learn more about sewing, knitting, and all manner of handwork.  I have learned how to take apart small kitchen appliances.  I have assembled most of the furniture in my home.

My mother taught me reading comprehension at the same time she taught me sewing.  She would have me read the pattern guide and then tell her what it said to do.  I have learned that this is a skill that not everyone has and I am forever indebted to her for teaching it to me.

To read the post that prompted my response go here:  http://notmolly.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/booklove/  Elizabeth is a good and entertaining read.  I even read her sewing book from cover to cover before I used the information in my daily sewing pursuits.

No comments: