Thursday, January 8, 2009

More of the Update

We saw Earl's liver doctor today. The official term is gastroenterologist. We have been seeing Dr. Boschert since 2001. He generally gives his reports straight up so this is what we have learned today.

More often than not people with liver cancer die from liver failure than from the cancer itself. The Therasphere treatment managed to shrink the tumors in the right lobe of the liver (of the two lobes, the right is the largest) so most of the tumors were treated. Unfortunately, the treatment can also kill some of the healthy liver tissue, causing liver failure.

Earl's elevated bilirubin indicates that his liver is failing. According to the medical team, with treatment Earl could live for another 3 to 6 months. If we are lucky we may have up to a year. Without any further treatment they estimate that he may have less than 3 months. We will be starting chemotherapy by the end of next week.

3 comments:

Jared and Shelby said...

Gillmores':

I just saw your blog on the Willardsen's. I am so sorry about Earl's health. Your family will certainly be in our prayers.

Jared Hales

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen and Earl. I haven't had time to read your updates lately. What a small world!I just went through a treatment procedure with my father (age 91)under Dr. Boschert's care. I was very impressed with him! Our prayers are with you.

Mrs. G said...

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry to read this. I still pray for your family, this must be so hard for you. I pray that God will fill your home with His peace.

Paris