Saturday, January 31, 2009

Saturday January 31, 2009

We are receiving lots of help. We have started hospice. They do many things. I am mostly not emotional. I'm sure when the time comes to morn, I will morn. I do cry some everyday. My conversations with Earl have changed. In many ways it is like he is leaving on a trip. We talk about friends that he will see. We saw a monument of Brigham Young and Joseph Smith today and I wondered if Earl is going to get a chance to meet them. There have been a few people from the wagon train who have already passed on and we have had conversations about them.

In addition to hospice, we have friends that come in and help. One of the ladies from the ward, came yesterday and cleaned my kitchen. She is from Brazil. My kitchen hasn't been that clean since I don't know when. We have some other friends coming in today to help me move some furniture around to make it easier for Earl to move around when he needs to.

My cousin Sharon may come over for a couple of weeks. She is a nurse and has done home care before so she would come and help me when hospice isn't here because they can't be here all the time. I have asked if one of the Service Missionaries from the ward could sit with Earl while I go to at least Sacrament meeting tomorrow. They are in the process of releasing me from the library but this all changed so fast they haven't had time to do it yet. They were going to release me anyway we just thought we had a little more time.

I need to find a baby food mill. Earl gets hungry, but sometimes doesn't have the energy to chew a lot. He doesn't eat very much, but I refuse to make him eat bottled baby food.

Earl's son, Jacob, is in the process of getting a 2-week leave from Iraq to see his Dad. This is a miracle all by itself. They haven't spoken in years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it tragic that this is what it took for Jacob and his dad to reconnect. And isn't it a blessing that they did. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Continuing my prayers for you.

Robyn

Amie said...

Karen,
I just noticed your comment on our blog. I'm glad you found me! I'm so sorry to hear about Earl. We'll be praying for all of you in the next few weeks. I'll be sure to check your blog for updates now that I know about it. I hope the coming days will be sweet and peaceful!
-Amie Lepore