Sunday, October 5, 2008

Karen has her own health issues

On August 22, I thought that I was having a heart attack. We went to the ER (we feel like we have our own room now). After much testing, it has been determined that I have Arterial Fibrillation or A-fib. In very remedial terms, the top chambers of my heart beat faster than the bottom chambers. Because of this, my heart can not empty of blood allow it to settle on the bottom and form clots. A clot can cause a stroke. The doctors had adjusted my medication so that I have not had any A-fib episodes since I left the hospital. This is a genetic problem. I would have this problem even if I were not overweight. But since I am, it puts me at a greater risk for other heart problems. So I am trying to lose weight. I am taking a class through the hospital. I am working with the cardiac rehab unit to get my exercise up. Even though I am following the diet, if I don't exercise, I will not and have not lost much weight. I struggle to get to the rehab. I also have found out that I do not breathe efficiently when I exercise so I have to be hooked up to oxygen while I work out. I have oxygen at home for night so I can work out at home as well as the rehab but it severely limits the places I can go for a work out unless I invest in transportable oxygen.

So now you are all caught up on our family, the next posts won't be so long.

1 comment:

Willardsen Family said...

It is good to see you in the blogging world. Church doesn't give me enough time to catch-up on peoples lives, so this is what I use to keep in touch. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.